Saturday, January 30, 2016

it has to be normal life...

It has been 25 days since I've had sweets. When I decided I'd give them up, I didn't have some grand plan of never eating sweets again. It wasn't like other decisions, where I planned for it weeks in advance, set a quit date, etc. It just kind of happened. And I have sure surprised myself - I really, truly cannot believe I have gone 25 days without them.

So part of me wants to keep the streak going, because why wouldn't I want to continue down that path? How awesome would it be to say that I'd gone 365 days without them? Or even longer? Or that I was refined-sugar-free, as so many successful 'losers' are?

Tonight, I am going to a gathering of my new co-workers. There will be alcohol, and there will be snacks. I'm assuming the snacks won't be pre-measured baggies of almonds or light cheese sticks or mandarin oranges. I have waffled back and forth all day on how to handle it. I know we're having italian beef, so I've pre-tracked that, and I am bringing rum and diet pepsi, which I've also pre-tracked. The rest of it is the wild card. I want this to be live-able. I want to be able to enjoy an evening out, not go crazy overboard, but not be so militant that I can't enjoy myself. At this point in time, I've told myself to do the best I can, track what I can, and not beat myself up over it because this is normal life. Normal life includes Saturday evening get-togethers with my colleagues while my parents watch my kids and I get time to enjoy myself. Normal life shouldn't be black or white.

Tonight will be a good test. It's been 25 days of completely on-plan eating and tracking and being accountable for every bite. And 25 days of no sweets. I'm going to see where the night takes me and report back tomorrow. At the very least, I commit to tracking and being accountable for everything.


4 comments:

  1. I hope you had a good time at the party! Did you keep your streak going? Do you feel any better or health benefits from being off sweets? No doubt you are healthier for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had lots of fun. Ate small amounts of everything and stuck to rum and diet cokes. I did have one small homemade cookie. It was good and I was satisfied - I tracked everything and stayed accountable and within my plan.

      I hadn't really noticed much difference physically, but definitely mentally because it no longer felt automatic to reach for something sweet at the conclusion of a meal. I do think that I may feel differently if I were to give up diet soda as well. I'd like to try that soon.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you're wrapping your head around this for the long haul. And THAT is monumental - do the best you can, when you can...and don't beat yourself up. Sounds like a good plan to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - trying to internalize that and really live it! I struggle tons with the black and white thinking and all-or-nothing mentality.

      Delete